News

San Francisco Makes Progressive Changes to Paid Parental Leave

On April 5, the city’s Board of Supervisors passed the “Paid Parental Leave Ordinance”, which will obligate employers to provide paid parental leave.

Currently, California law (under the California Paid Family Leave) program provides up to 55% of an employee’s weekly pay, so that they may take time for a new child or unwell family member. Employers may contribute to the program. The San Francisco Paid Parental Leave Ordinance, however, will require employers to pay the remaining 45% of those wages.

If passed by the city’s mayor, the ordinance will be implemented in phases: As of January 1, 2017, employers with more than 50 employees must comply. As of July 1, 2017, employers with more than 20 employees must comply.

Additionally, employers may require that employees use up to 2 weeks of their accrued vacation time, and will be relieved of the obligation if the employee refuses.

This new ordinance may be the start of major national change regarding parental leave.

You can get more information on this change and read the FAQ here.